Monday, May 25, 2009

Fame

I don't know how you feel about emoticons. My guess is that you despise them or have no idea what I'm talking about. I realize that there is a strong pre-pubescent stigma associated with emoticons but I know their true history and armed with that knowledge I use them to help communicate. For instance, if I were to mention to you that I had just eaten some guacamole by accident then I would want you to understand that doing so makes me feel slant-mouthed so I would type this.. :/
I can't believe you don't know what emoticons are. OK, I'll tell you, but I feel like I'm tooting my own horn here because if you didn't know, Paul and I invented emoticons. Emoticons are typed characters that represent a face in the attitude of expressing an emotion. Also, the face is turned on its side. Turn your head to the left 90 degrees to read the next few lines:

:) <- happy
:( <- sad
:P <- poking my tongue out at you
:/ <- slant mouthed

There aren't any more than that because think about it. Slant mouth says it all, really. Ok, so you've probably already heard about how Paul and I put a big white letter "Y" on the side of a mountain in Provo when we got confused trying to write "Cool guys" on the mountain. You've also probably heard about how we invented instant messaging. I imagine you've had quite a few moments of smug superiority telling people "I know the guys that invented IM." I don't blame you. Well, since you've never heard of emoticons, I'm guessing you also haven't heard about how they were invented by Paul and me. And since you don't know what they are, you're still probably more pleased with yourself for knowing the inventors of IM (and maybe a little bit as the guys who put the Y up there on that mountain). I'll fill you in. So after we invented IM we were messaging each other and Paul said something that made me smile so I typed back to him "<smile>". That happened several times before I responded, "<smile> is too many characters. I need a shortcut. So from now on, this means <smile> -> :)" He thought the arrow pointing to the smile was part of the smile and for a while there was some miscommunication because he thought the smile looked rather evil. see? >:) <- Evil smile. Once we got that cleared up he really liked the idea and added the frowny face to the collection. Now we could always quickly notify the other how his previous statement made us feel. But then one time he told me he was eating nachos and I couldn't have any. This made me feel sad, but also a little cheeky, so I invented the tongue poking out emoticon and sent it to him. At first he thought it meant that I was drooling over his nachos. Next came slant mouth which we believe is self-evident. So there you have it. The history of emoticons in a nutshell. So the mere fact that sloppy and uneducated children use emoticons fervently should not dissuade you from accepting them for their ability to convey feelings via an emotionally neutral medium like text.

9 comments:

  1. This post made me feel :o)

    You also left out the others you two invented

    ;) -- wink at you
    :s -- feeling confused or unwell

    Also, if you really really love me then you send me a rose.

    @}----}----------

    Isn't that sweet! I'm so glad you invented emoticons!!!!!! (extra exclamation marks cause I know how much Paul loves them in abundance...I mean he invented that too...right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this was definitely worth posting for all to enjoy. I liked it the second and third time around even better than the first. You and Paul should get royalties every time someone uses the above emoticons. Can't you trademark them or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really, I can't believe you don't remember what it was that made you smile. It was the fact that I just had some bad guacamole. So, really, guacamole is the father of the emoticon, while we are stepbrothers at best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always eating guacamole by accident. It's not dumb! I mean, :/

    One of the guys that invented IM <3's me and asked me to marry him. Am I very?? (<3 IS A HEART SYMBOL MEANING LOVE!!)

    The :( frowny face is used mostly for when mean people tell you to "get a room." That's been my experience.

    Are you also the ones what made your amazing emoticons turn from sideways to right-side-up on gchat? That's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so it's royalty roundup time. Let's see, we've got $8 from Bigjason ,and Tiffany used 2, so that's $16. Mandi used 2 as well. That will be $16 please.

    I felt I had done enough boasting in this post, but yes, Paul and I invented the emoticon rotation in gtalk. I'm going to leave that story for Paul to tell, though. If he can remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally knew that about you guys. It seems that people of intelligence and ability are just drawn to me. It's a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, we called it the rotatimicon. It was invented on a day where we sat down at our drawing board and decided to look for metaphorical technological windows that weren't there. "The static sideways emoticon is so....so..." Joel struggled to finish his sentence.

    "...played?" I offered.

    "No, awesome. But some people aren't getting it. How can we help these people, the ones that are wondering where this weird puncuation is coming from?" Joel said.

    We decided to "turn the table" on the general e-mailing public (and establishment) twice. You might be asking if the side of the table that was originally facing us is doing so again because of the two turns, and the answer is yes, but what you didn't bank on is the fact that I installed a leaf into the table. And on that table was a World's Best Father mug, lying on it's side. It featured a happy father's face, wearing sunglasses. As I righted the mug, Joel's face brightened.

    When Samuel Morse invented the telegraph by typing out the immortal words "What hath God wrought", thus uniting the two ends of the country and revolutionizing rapid long distance communication, he was besieged by naysayers and patent pirates. All Joel and I got was a check for $4.27 from Google and a brief mention in Joel's blog.

    ReplyDelete